Begin with a plan. The rest will follow.
Below are some of the resources I’ve found helpful. Hopefully, they’ll Help You Too.
Below are some of the resources I have found useful.
https://www.lonelyplanet.com Once the staple in my 20s as the go-to book for authentic destination travel advice, they are still my favorite guide even now. Seemingly they have aged with their readers, while still catering to youth, there is always the perfect mix of thrifty finds, with an honest take on everything else, plus a healthy dose of history and cultural context to prepare you for a destination. They’re current, and the website is a wealth of information on its own.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel For inspiration, dreamers, and photo lovers.
https://www.outsideonline.com For active adventures, often destination travel. Always an inspiration to get off the couch!
Other Travel Blogs I Like:
- Women On the Road – For women who travel smart, safe and solo https://www.women-on-the-road.com/
- Nomad Women – Experienced women travel http://www.nomadwomen.com/
- Planet Janet – For globe trotting baby boomers https://www.planetjanettravels.com/
- Adventureouskate.com – Solo female travelers over 40 http://www.adventurouskate.com/solo-female-travelers-over-40/
- Heather on Her Travels – Authentic travel with a little luxury, female skew, includes family and couples travel https://www.heatheronhertravels.com/
- Active Travel Adventures – Kit Parks hosted adventure travel podcast and blog for baby boomer female travelers. http://activetraveladventures.com/
- The Planet D – Dave and Deb are a fun loving Canadian couple who love to adventure travel and inspire https://theplanetd.com/
- My Itchy Feet – Dona and Alan are baby boomers from Montana https://myitchytravelfeet.com/
- Women on the Road: The Essential Guide for Baby Boomer Travel
- 1,000 Places to See Before You Die
- Ultimate Journeys for Two: Extraordinary Destinations for Every Continent, with an Emphasis on Adventure Travel for Couples.
- It Ain’t Heavy, it’s My Luggage: Tips for Older Women Traveling Abroad
- Wanderlust and Lipstick: The Essential Guide for Women Traveling Solo
- See it & Say it in Spanish
- See it & Say it in French
- See it & Say it in Italian
- See it & Say it in German
- Packing Light Tips (download PDF tips sheet here)
- DeMystifying Travel Insurance: What You Really Need to Know https://www.planetjanettravels.com/demystifying-travel-insurance-what-you-really-need-to-know/
- Nexus and TSA https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus
- Solo female travel: How to keep you and your finances safe